What Does Visiting Prison in 2016 Have in Store for You and Your Loved Ones?
Well you made it to 2016. All the wonder of what this year has in store for you and your loved ones is still an unwritten book. We all have choices, even when visiting prison. There will be many things out of your control, however, you have the choice of how you will handle it. There are many things that you do have control over, so make sure that you are making the best decisions for yourself and your family. Even if you make a decision that leads you in a direction that you do not want to go, you can change paths. The only thing you can be sure of is change and do not be afraid of it. Embrace it, and when it is too overwhelming, just take things a day at a time, an hour at a time, or even a minute at a time. Breathe. Find the beauty in the world which may just be a sunny day, a blooming flower, a snowflake, hugging a loved one, or the smile of a child.
I read a post on Facebook about writing on a piece of paper the date and one good thing that happened that day. Take the piece of paper and put it in a jar or box. At the end of 2016 read each piece of paper to see all the good things that happened this year. You can have your loved one do the same. Something you can share and write to each other about as well as discuss when you visit.
Visiting Your Loved One in 2016
This is a new year and when visiting prison in 2016 there could be new laws and rules in place in your state or at the facility that your loved one is housed. Make sure to visit the facility’s website or call the facility to see if there are any changes in 2016. This can save you a lot of hassle and disappointment when you go to visit. Especially if you are traveling a long way and they change the visitation policies or visiting days or hours.
Some Good Things
When you go to visit your loved ones there are many good things to look forward to during your visit:
- A Hug
- Sharing family moments and good news
- Seeing loved one happy and in good spirits
- Playing a game or reading together (in visiting areas that have these items available)
- Sharing food and especially if there are new food items in the commissary or in the machines
- Good weather during your visit so you can sit outside and/or walk around
- Taking a picture together
- Add your own good things to look forward to in 2016
When you go to visit your loved ones there also things that can happen that are out of your control, but that you can prepare for:
- Lock down (no visitation)
- Contraband (bringing something into the visiting area that is construed as illegal at that facility)
- Being turned away because of what you are wearing (clothing deemed inappropriate or wrong colors)
- Loved one not in good spirits
- Vending machines not working and/or commissary closed
- All the games and/or books are already signed out or not available
- Camera not working so no pictures for this visit
- Add your own challenges so you can be prepared and have a backup plan if they happen
My wish to all of you is to be empowered, to know your strength, and to make a difference in your world. You have the choice to be a victim or a victor. Choose victor! Here’s to making a difference in 2016!